When the on-going pandemic has affected the entire globe, Africa comes to us as a relief. Africa is known for its unperturbed beauty, exotic wildlife, and offers some of the most adventurous, offbeat experiences to its guests. We are here with the top 15 places to visit in Africa post lockdown 2020 for you. Take a look at them and learn in detail why these ravishing destinations deserve to be on your post lockdown bucket list.
Safest Places To Visit In Africa After Lockdown
1. Cairo, Egypt
The capital city of Egypt, Cairo is famed for its ancient monuments and age-old settlements. The pyramids of Giza located in Greater Cairo are the show stealers here. As they have been in existence for more than 4000 years, they have gained exceptional global popularity. Visit this African city post lockdown and pacify the history lover and culture explorer in you.
Top Things to Do In Cairo
- Visit Pyramids of Giza, one of the Seven Wonders of the World
- Spend time with locals and understand the age-old culture of Egypt
- Explore the coffee scene of the country in the restaurants and café of Cairo
- If you are a foodie, then do savor authentic Egyptian cuisine
- Shop for souvenirs while taking a stroll through the vibrant streets of Khan el-Khalili Market
Top Cairo Attractions: Pyramids of Giza, The Egyptian Museum, Djoser Pyramid, Muhammad Ali Mosque, Khan-el-Khalili, Al-Azhar Mosque, Hanging Church
Must-Explore: Check out the best of Egypt packages and offers
2. Victoria Falls, Zambia and Zimbabwe
Cascading down the rocky slopes of sky-high gorges like a beauty descending from heaven, the Victoria Falls is one of the largest waterfalls on the planet with a width of about 5604 feet. Located in the midst of lush greenery on the border between Zambia and Zimbabwe, it is a sight to savor on your trip to Africa. Due to its natural significance, it is listed as one of the UNESCO World Heritage Sites, one of the top places to visit in Africa post lockdown.
Top Things to Do At Victoria Falls
- Move through the waters of the waterfall as you indulge in white water rafting
- Take a refreshing bath in the Devil’s Pool
- Have an experience of bungee jumping at the site
- Explore the luxuriant vegetation and rich wildlife of the national park
- Also, spend a day away from the noise of cities amid tranquillity
Top Zambia Attractions: Devil’s Pool, Victoria Falls National Park, Victoria Falls Bridge and Mosi-oa Tunya National Park
3. Sal, Cape Verde
One of the most beautiful islands in Cape Verde, Sal has a lot to offer its visitors. The place hosts a reserve for white ever-glistening beaches, unexplored culture and artistic vistas of nature. However, the island is extremely popular for kiteboarding and other adventurous activities. If you are looking for a destination where you can chill out in a peaceful and uncrowded atmosphere post lockdown, then Sal is your calling.
Top Things to Do In Sal
- Explore rocky lagoons and the wonderful blue cave
- Witness Caretta turtles hatching by the shore
- Indulge in kiteboarding, sailing, and other adventurous activities
- Roam in the colorful streets of Sal and notice incredible murals
- Laze by the beach and spend a day experiencing calmness
Top Cape Verde Attractions: Buracona, Monte Grande, Kite Beach, Porto Antigo, Viveiro Botanical Garden, Street murals, Salt Crater
4. Port Louis, Mauritius
The capital city of Mauritius, Port Louis unfolds huge surprises in the form of history, nature, architecture, and safety. Hence, it remains a year-round destination and one of the must-visit places in Africa after lockdown. The place has incredible sites that would keep you intrigued. From gardens to hills and museums to heritage sites, one gets to relish everything within its boundaries.
Top Things to Do In Port Louis
- Witness a wide range of exotic plants at the botanical garden.
- Hike up the beautiful lush green hills around the city.
- Visit the harbor of Port Louis and capture beautiful panoramas of the sea and surroundings.
- Take a tour of Aapravasi Ghat and learn all about the British colony in Mauritius in the past.
- Explore museums and learn about the history of art and culture in the city.
Top Port Louis Attractions: Sir Seewoosagur Ramgoolam Botanical Garden, Aapravasi Ghat, Photography Museum, Le Pounce Peak, Blue Penny Museum and Saint Louis Cathedral
Must-Explore: Check out the hand-picked holidays in Mauritius
5. The Sahara Desert, Morocco
An unending stretch of dazzling sand that radiates sheer brilliance all day and night, the Sahara Desert is the jewel of Morocco. It has been alluring tourists from around the world as it provides visitors with a number of engaging activities such as sand-boarding, quad-biking, camel riding, camping and more. If you are seeking offbeat and least impacted places to visit in Africa after lockdown and the world as a whole, then this is it.
Top Things to Do in the Sahara Desert
- Capture the best of sunrise and sunset views
- Camp around in the midst of the desert and spend a night under the stars
- Indulge in adventurous activities such as sandboarding, quad-biking, and more
Top Sahara Desert Attractions: Sunrise and sunset views, desert small settlements and Sand dunes
6. Fish River Canyon, Namibia
The Fish River Canyon is one of the most popular places in Namibia, Africa for it is the largest canyon in the continent. As it is spread over an area of about 5900 sq km and is characterized by a dry plateau and a stony ravine that runs for about 160 km, it has got immense popularity amongst travelers, especially adventure seekers. On account of its natural significance, it has been declared the national monument.
Top Things to Do At Fish River Canyon
- Hike up the beautiful rock structures of the canyon and capture its aerial view
- Spend a day camping by the riverside or on the sandy land of the region
- Scrutinize metamorphic rock formations
Top Namibia Attractions: River, gorges, hiking trails, and sandy areas
7. Fuerteventura, Canary Islands
Away from extensive commercialization, Fuerteventura is tucked away in the serene expanse of Canary Islands and makes for an ideal beach destination in North Africa. The island hosts a number of beauties and has been declared a biosphere reserve. Visit it and unbox magic as you stroll down the beaches or explore rich wildlife. It is one of the few places where you would find white, as well as black sand beaches.
Top Things to Do In Fuerteventura
- Laze by the sandy shores and watch beautiful waves crashing on to your feet
- Visit water parks to spend a day relaxing in pools and lounges and enjoy water slides
- Visit Villa Winter and trace the history of the island
- Explore the rugged terrains and mountainous region of Fuerteventura
- Mingle with locals and learn about their culture and lifestyle
Top Canary Islands Attractions: Costa Calma Beach, Lobos Island, Playa de Esquinzo, Jandia, Salt Museum, Villa Winter and Montana de Tindaya
8. Mahe, Seychelles
You cannot miss out on this exotic island because it is one of the truly incredible places to visit in Africa post lockdown. Located in the Indian Ocean, Mahe is all you need to make your vacation an unforgettable affair. It is the largest island in Seychelles and provides its visitors with all kinds of modern amenities. Luxury resorts, beautiful sea-side cafes, ocean-view restaurants, and what not – Mahe is truly astounding.
Top Things to Do In Mahe
- Explore the scenic trails and beautiful hills of Morne National Park
- Enjoy snorkeling in the seawaters and relish local cuisine by the beach
- Get lost in the lush green hills of Mahe and discover its unspoiled nature
- Take a boat tour to the unexplored nearby islands of Mahe
- Also, visit locals markets and buy souvenirs
Top Mahe Attractions: Morne Seychelles National Park, Eden Island, Anse Intendance, Beau Vallon Beach, Morne Blanc Trail, Natural History Museum and Anse Royale Beach
Must-Explore: Check out selected Seychelles holiday packages and offers
9. Marrakesh, Morocco
One of the largest cities in Morocco and also one of the less explored places in the continent Marrakesh is a dream destination for an explorer. It has gardens and lakes to appease nature lovers and palaces and heritage sites to satisfy history lovers. Exploring Marrakesh would help you understand the human evolution in North Africa.
Top Things to Do in Marrakesh
- Plan a day of all the historical monuments in the city to learn about the bygone era of Morocco
- Visit Majorelle Garden and marvel at its exotic plants and beautiful fountains
- Take a look at the majesty of El Badii and Bahia Palaces and scrutinize their wondrous structure
- Visit Jemaa el-Fnaa, the one of a kind market in Morocco, and shop your interests
- Also, go for a picnic with your family in the parks and gardens of Marrakesh
Top Marrakesh Attractions: Bahia Palace, Majorelle Garden, Jemaa el-Fnaa Market, Koutoubia Mosque, Menara Gardens, Agdal Gardens, and Saadien’s Tombs
If nature is your priority and you are seeking a destination away from the tourist crowd, then Malawi is perfect. This least-explored yet exceptionally charming country is filled with hundreds of natural wonders. You have got wildlife reserves, lakes, forests, grasslands, peaks and hills to savor. In short, Malawi nurtures an amazing slice of paradise on earth.
Top Things to Do in Malawi
- Get in a kayak and sail down the shimmering waters of Lake Malawi
- Camp by the streams of Malawi in the woods and be in touch with nature
- Meanwhile, visit national parks and wildlife reserve to spot rare and endangered species of plants, animals, and birds
- Also, venture off on an adventurous journey in the mountains as you take up trekking and hiking trails
- Stay on the outskirts of major cities and towns to relish the best of the place
Top Malawi Attractions: Lake Malawi, Liwonde National Park, Lake Malawi National Park, Zomba Massif, Shire Highlands, Mumbo Island, Mulanje Mountain and Majete Wildlife Reserve
11. Kruger National Park, South Africa
Kruger National Park is a small world in itself with being home to various species of fauna. With an area of about 19,485 sq km, it is one of the largest game reserves in the continent and hence, one of the best places to visit in South Africa post lockdown. Its popularity has reached a new level over the last few decades. Today, people from every corner of the world come to revel in this delightful wonder.
Top Things to Do At Kruger National Park
- Spot beautiful species of elephants, lion, leopard and other animals
- Capture the bewitching landscape of the national park on your camera
- Witness the rich species of birds and plants
- In addition, visit Crocodile Bridge, Letaba Rest Camp, Obabule River and take wonderful selfies
Top Attractions: Elephants, Obalule River, Rhino, Lion, Rest Camps
12. Mombasa, Kenya
One of the best things to do in Kenya is to explore the charm of the coastal city Mombasa. Though it is primarily known for its lazy serene beaches, there is a lot reserved within its boundaries to savor. From the old town settlements to ancient monuments and beaches to luxuriant wildlife, everything is worth visiting. Mombasa is also one of the few places where you wouldn’t come across a heavy crowd.
Top Things to Do in Mombasa
- Visit the old town of Mombasa and trace its centuries-old history
- Spend an afternoon by in the beautiful parks and gardens of the city
- Also, sunbathe by the coast and relax your mind and body
- Take a tour of sanctuaries and other protected parks to explore the country’s wildlife
- Explore the coffee scene of Mombasa at its lively cafes and restaurants
- Lastly, go cruising in the seawater on a ferry or a boat
Top Mombasa Attractions: Haller Park, Nyali Beach, Diani Beach, Mwaluganje Elephant Sanctuary, Jomo Kenyatta Beach, Mombasa Marine Park and Fort Jesus Museum
Must-Explore: Check out the top holidays in Kenya at the best prices
13. Stone Town, Tanzania
Claimed to be the oldest part of Zanzibar City, Stone Town is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Thus, is one of the major tourist attractions in Tanzania. This 19th-century architecture reflects cultural backgrounds and leaves you flabbergasted. In addition to history and marvelous buildings, you have a beautiful coast to look forward to. Being one of the least pandemic impacted places, it is one of the top hidden places to visit in Africa post lockdown.
Top Things to Do in Stone Town
- Visit Forodhani Gardens and find yourself awestruck by its beautiful ruins
- Take a tour of the 17th-century Arab Fort and gaze upon its gorgeous battlements and towers
- Explore on the outskirts of the city and discover its least-explored islands
- Also, visit the late 19th-century beautifully-constructed Persian baths
Top Tanzania Attractions: Old Fort, Anglican Cathedral, People’s Palace Museum, Hamamni Persian Baths, House of Wonders and Forodhani Gardens
14. Hurghada, Egypt
Located on the Red Sea coast and founded as a small fishing village, Hurghada is one of the prime attractions in Egypt. Although the city offers a fair share of history and culture, it is mostly popular amongst tourists as a centre of recreational activities such as snorkelling and diving. Hence, you shouldn’t miss out on visiting it while in Africa.
Top Things to Do In Hurghada
- Have a great day with your kids at Hurghada Grand Aquarium
- Enjoy snorkeling or diving down the waters of the Red Sea
- Discover the shipwrecks at Abu Nuhas
- Ride a camel by the shore and take memorable pictures
- Also, plan a day tour of the stunning Giftun Islands or just stay by Hurghada beaches to enjoy nature
Top Hurghada Attractions: Giftun Islands, Hurghada Marina, Hurghada Aquarium, Straits of Gubal, Snorkelling and diving sites and beaches
15. Lagos, Nigeria
Nigeria is one of the offbeat and undoubtedly, one of the safest places to visit in Africa post lockdown. The country envelopes a number of places knowns for its simplicity. Lagos is one such place here. Though it is touted to be a financial hub and economic center, it is a potential tourist center. The city has parks, historical sites, cultural diversity, museums, beaches, and modern architecture.
Top Things to Do In Lagos
- Visit beaches for a fun and colorful time by the sea.
- Explore the street culture of Lagos by visiting its market squares.
- Frame the lovely panoramas of Lagos from Third Mainland Bridge.
- Have a great family time with your kids at parks and gardens.
- Lastly, visit its museums and art centers.
Best Lagos Attractions: Nigerian National Museum, Lekki Conservation Centre, Third Mainland Bridge, Jhalobia Recreation Park and Gardens, National Arts Theatre and Freedom Park