Table of Content
- Ride the Warm Waves in Accra
- Explore the Centuries-old Antiquity
- Taste the Unique Flavors of Ghana
- Traverse the Cape Coast Castle
- Witness Nature’s Finest Views
- Shop the Gorgeous Ghanaian Textiles
- Praise the Local Art-Work
- Stroll in Ghana’s Largest Wildlife Park
- Get Ready for Hiking
- Shop for the Ghana Authentics!
- It’s Beach Party-Time in Ghana!
- Revel in the Upscale Locale
- Praise the Local Art
- Support the Female Entrepreneurs
- Sight the Noble Celebrations
- Explore the Turkish Splendor in Ghana
- Learn the Ghananian History
- Get Festive at One of the Many Local Celebrations
- Cheer for the Local Soccer Teams
- See the Largest Artificial Reservoir
- Visit Ghana’s Culture Headquarters
- Discover Ghana’s Only Natural Lake
- Take a Local Cooking Ghanaian Class
- Experience the Boabeng
- Quench Your Thirst with a Ghanaian Drink
- Unwind in Ghana’s Greenery
Traverse gorgeous Ghana! It’s vast reserves, breathtaking views, and spectacular historical landmarks is a call for an animated adventure. The African nation is a warm and beautiful country and a home-away-from-home. Also, the soulful food and the street carnivals, celebrate its life and diversity. So, get ready to encounter incredible things to do in Ghana, the hidden gem of Africa.
25+ Top Things to do in Ghana, Africa
1) Ride the Warm Waves in Accra
Start your Ghanaian tour with the most exotic places to visit in Accra and its world-class beaches,. Its extensive coastline has made it a favourite amongst avid surfers. Also, the warm waters are perfect for thrill aqua activities. So, explore amazing things to do on Accra’s beach for ultimate fun.
Location: Beaches of Accra
Price: USD 25 for 6 hours approximately.
- Participate in fun water sports.
- Explore the Kokrobite beach. It is one of the best surfers-beach in Accra, Ghana.
2. Explore the Centuries-old Antiquity
Jamestown is a unique treasure in the list of Ghana’s sightseeing. Also, the colonial buildings and vibrant graffiti-filled alleys project antiquity. Furthermore, the fishing harbor has excellent cafes and art galleries that are captivating.
Location: District of Accra
Price: Entry is free!
- Make sure to indulge in local culinary adventures.
- See one of the oldest settlements of Ghana and praise the bygone greatness.
3. Taste the Unique Flavors of Ghana
The locals in Ghana love their corn dough-based delicacies. The main dish, namely, kenkey is made with the use of it. Moreover, the flavors and ingredients have their own Ghananian essence. So, taste the authentic dish and indulge in a galvanizing adventure.
Price: Cost varies as per the restaurant
- Make sure to try the local and gourmet delicacies.
- Do taste the luscious Ghanian street food.
4. Traverse the Cape Coast Castle
Located on the edge of the Cape Coast, this is one of the most historic tourist attractions. Also, it tells a lot about the contributions made towards modern-day Ghana. So, get on with your powerful trip down the past and appreciate the amazing old creations.
Location: Cape Coast
Timings: 9 a.m to 5 p.m, every day
Price: USD 7 approximately
- Venture the historical landmark for fun and amazement.
- Sight the Museum of West African History and explore other chambers too.
5. Witness Nature’s Finest Views
Check out the lush greenery of the Kakum National Park. As it’s a tropical rain forest reserve featuring hanging bridges, wooded towers, and scenic views. Also, it’s a must-see destination for nature lovers due to its over 100 species of adorable birds and amazing animals.
Location: Cape Coast
Timings: 6 a.m to 4 p.m, every day
Price: USD 9.5 approximately
- Take a guided walking tour for the best experiences.
- Capture the unusual wildlife.
Explore More: 10 Top Tourist Sites In Ghana
6. Shop the Gorgeous Ghanaian Textiles
Every local fabric shop hods the best of Ghanaian textiles in Accra. Also, the tailor-made clothes and used designs hold rich African essence. Enjoy your shopping experience as bargaining is fun here. So, get ready to take home some mindblowing souvenirs.
Price: Ranges as per the cloth type
- Do get a customized dress in a local fabric.
- Make sure to invest in the popular Kente fabric (a mix of silk and cotton).
7. Praise the Local Art-Work
Bead making ties into the traditions of Ghana! So jewelry-lovers can brighten up their jewelry box with amazing necklaces, bracelets, earrings, and so much more. You can also gift one of these to your loved ones as the designs are truly atypical.
Price: Available in ranges
- Bargain to get the best prices.
- You can also customize the jewelry as per your taste and preferences.
8. Stroll in Ghana’s Largest Wildlife Park
Mole National Park offers the ultimate wildlife experiences. Also, in its gigantic area of 4,912 km², it houses plenty of exotic flora and fauna. Furthermore, the various highlights are elephants, antelope, monkeys, baboons, and more wild animals. So, get ready for unusual spectacles in various corners of the park.
Location: West Gonja District
Timings: 24 hours
Price: USD 3 approximately
- Always keep your kids nearby, if traveling with any.
- Elephant sightings are common between December and April.
9. Get Ready for Hiking
Wli Waterfalls is the highest in Ghana and the tallest in West Africa. Also, it offers a great getaway into the embrace of gorgeous nature. So, adore the beautiful green hills, forests, streams, and refresh your mind and soul.
Location: Hohoe, Ghana
Timings: 8 a.m to 6 p.m, every day
Price: USD 6.91 approximately
- The best time to visit here is between April and October.
- Make sure to gear up before you commence the hiking.
10. Shop for the Ghana Authentics!
Kejetia Market, an open-air market is one of the largest in West Africa. Also, it invites you for an amazing shopping experience. Buy your heart out and get the best deals on the most authentic products straight from the roots of Ghana. Furthermore, everything is available in this market as it has over 11,000 stalls to browse.
Price: Prices vary depending upon the product.
- The Kumasi Zoo nearby is a great stop to explore with kids.
- The market has everything like home decor, jewelry, clothes, and accessories. Also, bargaining is entertained here.
11. It’s Beach Party-Time in Ghana!
Looking for feel-good vibes, the scenic Labadi beach is your spot. Also, it is a stunning Accra attraction that offers unlimited fun-time. So, grab a drink and dance to the beats of great music. Try the range of bars and restaurants that serve the local and gourmet delicacies.
Timings: 24 hours
Price: USD 2.30 approximately
- It is one of the busiest beaches in Accra, so visit in the off-season to avoid crowds.
- An entrance fee is charged to those not staying at the beach hotels.
12. Revel in the Upscale Locale
The heart of Accra is at the Osu Oxford Street. Thrilling nightlife, amazing dining options, and a festive atmosphere are its highlights. Therefore, it ranks top in fun things to do in Accra. So, splurge on high-quality shopping and experience the finer things in life.
Price: Varies as per the places.
- Avoid walking alone at night.
- Oxford Street is renowned for its upscale shopping and dining experience.
13. Praise the Local Art
Are you a fan of intriguing artwork? Then, Artists Alliance Gallery is a must-see on your Ghana sightseeing checklist. The calm ambiance of galleries projects amazing hand-made creations. So, admire the woodwork, typical jewelry, a wide variety of artistry, and purchase them at affordable prices.
Timings: 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. daily / Sundays: 12- 5 p.m.
Entry Price: Free!
- There are three floors with curated collections that are worth exploring.
- Indulge in reasonable souvenir shopping.
14. Support the Female Entrepreneurs
The Makola Market is a famous marketplace in Accra that stands apart from others. Also, it thrives with women traders who sell the most interesting valuables. So, buy some fresh produce, textiles, shoes, and help them promote their work. Moreover, it’s a project specially designed to empower the financial freedom of females and a great spot to shop at.
Timings: Mon-Sat: 6 am – 5 pm (closed on Sundays)
Entry Price: Free
- Photography in the market is discouraged without permission.
15. Sight the Noble Celebrations
The Black Star Gate Monument is also known as Independence Square. This landmark comes alive during national celebrations. So, sight the military parades with your family that are truly amazing. Hence, it’s a great site to visit. Add it to your things to do in Ghana wishlist and experience fun.
Timings: 6 am to 6 pm, every day
- Click many pictures at this amazing National landmark.
- Climb to the top for a fantastic view of the city.
16. Explore the Turkish Splendor in Ghana
Amidst all the hustle-bustle of the city life, the Ghana National Mosque is your spot of tranquility. The unique architecture is its exceptional highlight. Also, it is a mini replica of the blue mosque in Turkey and brings the Turkish essence in Ghana.
Timings: 5 a.m. – 8 p.m.
- Fridays are extremely busy due to congregational prayers.
17. Learn the Ghananian History
The Ussher Fort has had a very complex past. It was constructed by the Dutch in 1649. Also, it has survived major earthquakes and was later converted to a prison. Today, the fort is home to a museum that portrays the country’s slave trade history.
Timings: Monday to Saturday: 9 a.m. – 4.30 p.m.
Entry Price: USD 2 approximately
- Tour the hallowed grounds to see the prison chambers.
- Roam at the famous heritage site and understand it’s antiquity.
18. Get Festive at One of the Many Local Celebrations
Ghana’s festivals are famous for their vibrant celebrations. You can consider yourself lucky if you get a chance to witness “Homowo”! This grand event has many lively events. So, witness the locals enjoy amazing meals and chant for a bumper harvest.
Timing: Month of May
- The festival is preceded by a one-month ban on noise making by instruments, singing, etc.
19. Cheer for the Local Soccer Teams
Africa loves football, and Ghanaians share this passion too. So, spend an afternoon at a bar and watch the adored sport with its enthusiastic fans, one of the hidden things to do in Ghana. Sight various local leagues playing and enjoy in a party-like atmosphere.
Timing: Any time of the year
- Investing in a Ghana football jersey would be a great piece of memorabilia.
20. See the Largest Artificial Reservoir
Lake Volta is the largest artificial reservoir in the world. Also, it covers a whopping 3.6% of the country’s land area. Hence, witness the grandness of the largest man-made lake and click interesting images.
Entry Price: USD 1.73 (for non-Ghanaian students) and USD 2.59 (for non-Ghanaian adults) approximately.
- Take a tourist cruise to the Dosi Island via the Dodi Princess.
- Make sure to check out the Akosombo Dam.
21. Visit Ghana’s Culture Headquarters
Kumasi, the former capital is crowned as the second-largest Ghananian city. Also, it’s a hub of West African artisan culture. Gold craftsmanship, wooden carvings, and textile weavings are its detailed highlights. So, witness the traditional culture of Ghana at one go here.
- Visit the Manhyia Palace Museum. Also, get a chance to see the current king.
- Discover greatness on the ancestral land of the Ashanti people.
22. Discover Ghana’s Only Natural Lake
Relax with a view of Lake Bosomtwe! It’s a prescribed nature-friendly activity to add to your list of things to do in Ghana. Interestingly, the lake was formed after a meteor struck this spot. Hence, it is considered sacred by the local Ashanti people, in addition to being a pilgrimage site.
- Do not visit on a public holiday due to the large crowds Bosomtwe attracts.
23. Take a Local Cooking Ghanaian Class
Feel the spirit of Ghana in its flavors and distinct style of cooking. Also, take a local food tour and sign up for a Ghanaian cooking class. Get ready for some cooking fun and an out-of-the-box activity.
Price: Starts at USD 50 approximately
- Take a local food tour of the city.
- Buy the popular African ingredients like dried hibiscus flowers, tamarind, and red palm oil.
24. Experience the Boabeng
Fiema Monkey Wildlife Sanctuary is home to over 800 monkeys. This sanctuary has varied species of birds, reptiles, and animals. So, get on a fantastic ride and connect with wildlife and nature. You can also take a guided tour to learn about African traditions.
Price: USD 12 approximately
Timings: 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Take some bananas and peanuts to feed the monkeys.
- Always keep the kids close to you due to the crowd.
25. Quench Your Thirst with a Ghanaian Drink
Ghana has more to offer than just the fresh juices and coffee. So, try the famous ginger drink called “Lamugin” (a delicious blend of finely chopped ginger, lemon, cloves, and water). Also, try other drinks made with the freshest products. Therefore, the drinks are not only cheap but also a powerful cure for a sore throat.
Price: USD 0.25 approximately
- Add a pinch of sugar for the perfect sweetness to complement the ginger.
- Enjoy a local food tour.
26. Unwind in Ghana’s Greenery
The Bobiri Forest Reserve is a nature lover’s paradise! It is an ideal spot to forget your worries and breathe in the fresh air. Also, sight the various plants crowned by the pretty butterflies for a refreshing change in scenery.
Location: Boaben and Fiemaa
Entry Price: USD 0.25 approximately
Timings: 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- There is a guest house if you’re interested in an overnight stay.